This site is a resource to learn about Youth Media Programs and opportunities in Philadelphia. We hope the site will be useful to young people who are interested in gaining media production skills as well as teachers, parents and program providers who want to learn more about youth media in Philadelphia.
You can explore the Events and Opportunities sections and see a sample of Youth produced media work. If you are interested in contributing or learning more, Contact us! We currently have general meetings each month. We are always looking to expand our network, so we hope to hear from you!
Featured PYMC News:
- February 24, 2014
For Frank Dmarh, the free community computer classes at PEC gave him a new perspective on life. Considering himself to be part of a “dinosaur generation,” Dmarh admitted that he didn’t know..
- February 12, 2014
This month’s PYMC Mtg was hosted by the Free Library of Philadelphia. Rachel Fryd and Khaleef Aye introduced us to a series of maker-oriented activities. 1. Creating basic circuits. Materials..
- February 7, 2014
SUBMIT YOUR WORK via the form below. (click here to go DIRECTLY TO THE SUBMISSION FORM) ALSO, SEEKING SPONSORS, PARTNER ORGANIZATIONS and VOLUNTEERS: Get in touch if you’re interested in..
- February 3, 2014
A national youth media movement has been evolving under the facilitation and support of the National Alliance for Media Arts and Culture (NAMAC). A series of webinars bringing together the..
- February 3, 2014
People’s Emergency Center and Drexel University’s TechServ are hosting a Genius Bar on February 15 at 325 N. 39th Street. Students will provide free computer repair and diagnostic..
2014 Upcoming Meeting Dates and Locations:
Each Month a different PYMC organization will host the monthly general meeting. 45 mins will be focused on a particular topic, in a peer to peer style presentation or activity. The rest of the meeting will focus on planning PYMC programs and offer time for general updates and networking opportunities. Meetings are open to anyone interested in youth media.
- January 14, 10-11:30am. Center for Media and Information Literacy & POPPYN - Temple University. Room TBD. Meeting Topic: Integrating Media Literacy concepts into your youth media program.
- February 11, 10-11:30am. Free Library. 1901 Vine Street. Meeting Room 118 (west corridor). Meeting Topic: Maker Activities. A hands on session to learn how you can incorporate 'Maker' tools into your youth media programs.
- March 11, 10-11:30am. Philadelphia Student Union. 4205 Chestnut Street. Meeting Topic: How to integrate social justice into media work
- April 8, 10-11:30am. YES Philly. 1231 N. Broad Street. Meeting Topic: TBD
- May 13, 10-11:30am. Girls Rock Philly. 1867 Frankford Ave. Meeting Topic: TBD
- June 10, 10-11:30am. PhillyCAM. 699 Ranstead St. Meeting Topic: TBD
- July 8, 10-11:30am. Norris Square Neighborhood Project. 2141 N. Howard St. Meeting Topic: TBD