February 5th PYMC General Meeting Notes
Notes from February 5th, 2012 PYMC Meeting
Thanks to PhillyCAM for hosting us in their Community Room. There were 13 people in attendance- we were excited to welcome new members: Lil Filmmakers, Philadelphia Student Union, Free Library of Philadelphia and Norris Square Neighborhood Project.
We opened with hearing project updates from everyone in attendance. Some highlights include:
- PhillyCAM will be partnering with PEC to offer a 10-week workshop series for their Teen Tech Training Program. Students will produce a TV show at PhillyCAM, learn about archiving their media work and then have the opportunity to apply as interns.
- Free Library, WHYY and Sisters Action Media are teaming up to Present the film, Bully with the writer/director in person tonight FEB 5th!
- David from the Center for Media and Information Literacy has been working with NAMLE to organize the next conference in Los Angeles. They are still accepting proposals from diverse media literacy projects.
- University Community Collaborative will be working on a social media campaign to accompany their media and leadership projects to use social media to foster dialogue about the diverse issues they address in their programs.
- Stephanie from the N.5th street revitalization project joined us for the first time. She works with teens in the Olney neighborhood of Philadelphia. They currently host an open mic night the 2nd Friday of each month.
- The Free Library continues to work out the developments of their teen-centered spaces and services. They are going to do more programming around E-textiles, and Maker projects at different branches throughout the city.
- We have awarded a Project Stipend to Art Factory/NSNP to support events related to their Youth Art and Rebellion show. They will use the funds to help produce a closing event with artist talks, as well as produce a short how to video which describes their planning and curatorial process- so other groups can learn from their experiences producing this show. The full proposal can be read on the Project Stipend page.
- We also received a proposal from PEC to support their work with introducing digital literacy skills to children between the ages of 3-7. Stay tuned for more on that initiative!
Report back from the networking event and the SLAM
- PYMC hosted it’s first Networking Happy Hour at Smokin Betty’s in January. We had about 30 people in attendance, and it was a great informal gathering for conversation and new relationships to form! We hope to have this as a regular quarterly event.
- The SLAM was held at WHYY on Jan 18th. We had about 75-85 people in attendance. There was great energy to the event, and very diverse representation of genres, mediums and voices. Our Youth Committee did a great job of jumping in to help MC, and facilitate the evening. Most of the program has been posted online here. So, check it out! We have a full recording of all the live performances and a Q & A with the artists, which we hope to upload soon.
Peer to Peer Events
- We have decided to plan a Youth Media ‘Ted Talk/Ignite’ style presentation during Philly Tech Week in April. The goal will be to present the range of strategies for how organizations structure and run their programs. We will invite both program staff and youth to present a snapshot of their work. We are excited to use this opportunity to learn from one another and share our practices with the larger community as well! We will likely use PhillyCAM to host this event so we can properly document it, possibly via livestream as well, and share it with our colleagues on the national level to contribute to the documentation and dialogue of best practices in youth media.
Youth Media Committee
- Jeannine gave a great report back regarding the development and implementation of the PYMC Youth Committee. Everyone was curious and inspired by the creative activities and process that Jeannine and Positive Minds use to break the monotony of ‘programs’ and build trust among the participants.
- They are close to nailing down the theme and location for their first event, which will be held FRIDAY, MARCH 15th. So save the date!
- Meet the Committee members and follow their notes and pics on the Tumblr fee. HERE
Monthly Member Highlights on the Website
- Look out for our new Monthly Member highlight on the website. We will go in-depth with an organization each month to showcase their programming, interview students and help support their ongoing work!
Member Show and Tell
- We had 3 great presentations from our new members and got to see some documentation, animation and photos from the vibrant youth media work happening throughout the city. It’s nice to dedicate some time to sharing student work with one another. This may become a regular PYMC mtg feature!
- PYMC Member Assessment: We are inviting all PYMC participants to complete this quick survey to give us some feedback on our first year and help us strategize for ways to increase involvement and support. You can access the survey at this link.
- WHYY will be hosting a weekend filmmaking intensive workshop to produce 5 short pieces on the theme of Student Dropout. Seeking 25 students to participate. More info coming soon!
- The Alliance for Community Media has been very invested in supporting youth media work. Their conference, to be held in the Bay Area will include a Youth Film Festival- showcasing entries from throughout the country (BAYM). Stay tuned for the call for submissions and let’s represent Philly on the west coast!