April 10th: General Meeting Notes
Our April general meeting was held at Mighty Writers/Mighty Post South Street Storefront- thanks for MW & David for hosting us!
We were excited be joined by Ellen and Thao from the Asian Arts Initiative who attended for the first time. We love having new faces at the table!
Some exciting updates from attendees included:
- Spiral Q is preparing for 2 major upcoming events: 1. Puppet Army with over 300 students on Friday May 17th and their annual Q-licious awards event on Saturday May 18th. Also, please note, if your organization ever needs puppets for social change/policy/justice events, Spiral Q has quite a collection they are willing to lend out!
- PSU has decided they will be working on a science fiction multimedia project related to the Future of Public Education… if you saw the Zombie Apocalypse at the School District headquaters, you know this is going to be good!
- Rodney from Mural Arts updated us on the mobile media lab that will be rolled out this summer-complete with 20 ipads, macbook air and hotspots…taking the classroom on the road.
- WHYY will be having a screening of their student documentary work on JUNE 14th- save the date!
- AAI will be working with a visiting artist to build a skateboard shop with their teens in the Vine street storefront space. Also, opening on JUNE 14th!
- Jr. Music Executive is working with CRED and JUMP magazine to offer a series of Wordsmith Workshops- teaching writing for entertainment skills…
- Gretjen and Antoine from PhillyCAM just returned from the Media Reform conference in Denver, excited to see lots of attention given to Youth Media in the national conversation.
Collaborative Brainstorming: We spent 45 minutes working in speed networking pairs where partners discussed potential ideas for collaboration- both considering existing resources and project stipend awards. This led to a wonderful range of ideas being generated- and all participants viewed this as an important activity that could be done
more regularly around different topics in order to quickly crowd source the wisdom of the group. We created a google doc with these ideas, and will seek ways to support organizations in more effectively collaborating with one another… Just creating the space, already set off a lot of new future working relationships!
- PhillyCAM & PYMC are partnering with Philly In Focus and Philly Tech Week to livestream a series of events during PTW 2103. Part of our agreement with PTW was to support a youth crew to host and assist with the coverage of these events. Stay on the lookout for a PTW Youth pics calendar soon!
- Ignite Youth Philly Event. Thurs, April 25th at PhilyCAM 7-9pm. Come out and support the Youth Media community at this dynamic fast paced event showcasing current youth media projects, challenges and models at work in Philly. RSVP and read more here.
- The PYMC Youth Committee aka: the MASHED crew are planning 2 exciting events focused on networking and collaborative media making. Save the dates: May 3 & May 23. Details to come real soon!! (If you missed the first MASHED event- check some pics out here)
- DO CHECK THE PYMC CALENDAR for up to date ongoing events throughout Philly posted regularly!
Upcoming National Conferences with a youth media presence:
Next Meeting: Tuesday May 14th, Location TBD