PYMC monthly meeting notes, June 18th
The Monthly PYMC meeting for June was held at PhillyCAM.
In addition to some regular attendees, we were happy to welcome Shasta Brady from the Urban Technology Project to learn about this exciting fellowship program to train and provide workforce development to youth interested in technology.
Introductions // Summer highlights
- Antoine from PhillyCAM is on his way to the Allied Media Conference to assist with some video streaming of the events
- Nuala just returned from a delegation to Israel and Palestine and looks forward to connecting her experiences back to Philadelphia through outreach and opportunities for continued exchange
- Beth from PSU is excited that 14 buses will be leaving from Philly to Harrisburg to weigh in on the budget vote before it happens!! PSU will also be working with TAG to create audio stories to accompany the http://facesofthelayoffs.org project
- David from CMIL looks forward to the release of the Powerful Voices for Kids book and companion website for media literacy tools for K-5,6
Project Stipend Updates
- University Community Collaborative has completed 3 media literacy workshops facilitated by their student interns. These 50 min-1 hour workshops introduce students to the basic concepts of media literacy and how to think critically about pop culture. A video outlining the workshop process will be forthcoming! UCC is open to working at new sites, so if you think your program could benefit, contact Nuala.
- David Cooper Moore reported back from his experience at the Alliance for Community Media Conference. His longer write up can be found here. Plans are in the works for a regional convening. In the short term, ACM will host a Youth Summit at the Manhattan Neighborhood Network on Friday July 12, 2013.
- The BPA youth media promo video is in post production. With 2 successful shoots, interviewing about 16 students from 9 different of organizations, a rough cut will be sent out to members for feedback within a
- There are still 5 stipends remaining!! We encourage groups to apply for summer funding!
- Upcoming Grants: PCA Program Stream is due June 28th.
- Conversations have been with the Apps and Maps Studio and other interested stakeholders to develop a youth media map app. We hope to pursue funding to support this project in the Fall.
- There are opportunities to join with educators nationwide for a Making Learning Connected summer exchange. Visit the timeline with project info and details here: http://blog.nwp.org/clmooc/about/
- Peer to Peer: I was going to pursue a workshop with Rebecca Fabiano, related to adolescent development and program design… more details to come on this by next meeting.
- Perelman Theater opportunity. PhillyCAM was approached about the opportunity to organize community and youth programming at the Perelman Theater at the Kimmel Center. We discussed
the opportunity for a Jan 25th showcase, that might involve regional participation. One suggestion was to connect it to the launch of a Youth Media Reporter issue, and to consider how to involve younger kids and families. We currently have a hold on this date, but will need to do more work to flush out the exact use/activities.
NEXT MEETING, TUESDAY JULY 16th at Asian Arts Initiative (1219 Vine Street)