PYMC General Mtg notes, October 16th, 2013
PYMC General Meeting October 16th, 2013
Location: Mural Arts Education Classroom at 1219 Vine St.
Introductions & Program Updates:
- As discussed at the last meeting, we are going ahead with a partnership with the Urban Maps and Apps Studio to create a youth media map/app. They have organized a development team of 4 High School teens, and a college mentor to work with PYMC through May on the design and implementation of the project. Oct- Feb will be research
and design phase. Feb- May will be coding and implementation. WE ARE LOOKING FOR A SMALL FOCUS GROUP OF STUDENTS & PROGRAM STAFF TO ASSIST IN THIS PROCESS. There will be opportunities for all members to give input and feedback, but it would be ideal to have a group of 3-4 people who would like to commit to being point people to work with the development team 1-2 times/month to give feedback along the way. Contact Laura if you are interested in participating (or want to recommend a student- great way for alumni to stay connected and give feedback)!
Nov 9th Mashed Media Conference – program details almost all confirmed!!
- The full program can be viewed here – I will be sending out a separate invite for you to circulate widely to your networks!
- We will need lots of volunteers the day of the event. If you or your students, student’s parents, colleagues or friends are interested in helping out during the day, please fill out this form with your availability. We can offer tokens to all the volunteers upon request.
- Swag Bags. We will be filling bags for 150 attendees. If you would like to put program information, postcards or any other giveaways in the bag, we will need it by
You can deliver materials to PhillyCAM or contact Laura to make other arrangements before NOV 4th.
January 25th Kimmel Center Youth Media Event
- PhillyCAM will be taking the lead to organize a youth media showcase at the Kimmel Center’s Perelman Theater on Saturday Jan 25th.
- We propose 3-6pm.
- We are seeking a program that draws a large audience and showcases local youth work in different mediums.
- We discussed framing the event around the issues of youth and incarceration, and invite Pull of Gravity filmmakers to discuss their work, and then do a call for work that relates to this topic.
- We’d like to define an organizing principle/issue to shape the event so it can have a more directed purpose.
- Gretjen suggested inviting Frank Cardon who was involved with the film Teen Dreams http://articles.philly.com/1995-05-03/news/25672012_1_teen-dreams-world-cinema-young-man and now works at HBO and continues to produce films.
- How can we incorporate photos/slideshow, performers (with one mic), as well as short videos and other work in the program.
If you have additional program updates always feel free to share
them with the google group, or email brief text & photo for upload to the website!
PYMC members will be meeting for a strategic retreat on November 21st.
We will not have a meeting in November, stay tuned for the next meeting date.