PYMC General Meeting: April 15, 2014
Great monthly meeting at YES Philly. Thanks for hosting and for the Easter donuts and coffee!
We started by sharing a brief area of work where we could use support:
Some things that surfaced included:
- YES needs support identifying teaching artists. OSTRC Directory, Bartol Foundation were recommended as good places to find teaching artists.
- Gretjen from PhillyCAM mentioned needing letters of support from organizations to include as part of the franchise negotiation process with the city. Keep an eye out for an email with more details…
- Janine from Lil Filmmakers is seeking additional teachers to mentor youth in the areas of filmmaking, scriptwriting or other creative areas. If you are a college student, or media professional willing to contribute some time. Students meet on Saturdays and over the summer. Contact info (at) lilfilmmakersinc.com
- One member spoke about seeking support from a social worker, the possibility of having shared support for students in this area
One good resource to access for this is also the OSTRC resources directories: http://www.sp2.upenn.edu/ostrc/resources/index.html Which includes a regional peer mentorship and traveling services directory.
Mashed Awards Debrief
We spent some time debriefing about the Mashed Awards
Roses (Positive Aspects)
- Great cultural event that had people excited for days
- Clip reels added nice context and content to show a wide range of work
- Live performance was good
- Audience choice award was a highlight
- JME press team was effective and important
- Helped confront stereotypes about youth (regarding the quality of their work, level of interest, perspective on different topics, and level of engagement)
Thorns (Areas of improvement)
- How to have a stronger outreach, social media component to promote the event
- How to extend the reach of the event afterwards via press, or the sharing of photos, documentation of clips from the evening
- Next time we need an afterparty
- Rehearsal and blocking on stage with presenters and winners
- Musician was good, next time a DJ would be great to have
Grants submitted: Barra Foundation planning grant submitted to explore how PhillyCAM can support PYMC through shared staffing or other models. & Youthadelphia submitted for Mashed Crew.
Discussing project goals for the coming year.
- Mashed Media Tour. We spent a lot of time discussing the idea of packaging the Mashed Award films on a DVD with supplemental discussion guide, background info, and a possible directory to use as a distribution strategy to schools, organizations and youth. We also discussed how organizations might contribute design, graphics, assistance with the creation of a zine. We decided this would be a good project to assign the West Chester Student interns we have with PYMC this summer
so look out!
- May 7th: Equity and Connected Learning #PHL
- GRP is seeking a space for their summer camp, first week of August. Ideally 10-15 classrooms for 75 students.
- SFX internship forming with S. Frosty to support organizations and artists in social media promotion and strategy.
- NAMAC/ACM conference will be in Philadelphia August 6-8, 2014. Conversations around integrating youth media into the conference are underway. To join those conversations email laura (at) Phillycam.org.
Mashed Media Awards Films now posted! While I am still posting pictures and documentation from the event, here is the link to the page where all the finalists are posted: http://www.phillyyouthmedia.org/mashed-awards-finalists-2014/ Once voting opens for the People’s Choice, I will let everyone know… In the meantime, please watch all the finalists at full, and share this link with your networks, students, and colleagues!
PYMC Welcomes Girls Rock Philly as an official member of the Collaborative! To celebrate, we will have our next monthly meeting in their awesome space on Frankford Ave:
May 13, 10-11:30am. Girls Rock Philly. 1867 Frankford Ave. Meeting Topic: TBD